22 September 2016

Summer 2016 Favorites

Summer has officially ended and I moved into my University accommodation last weekend. I'll be studying for a BA Criminal Justice and Criminology degree at the University of Leeds for the next few years, and hopefully I'll get to do a study abroad year at Carleton University in Canada. I know I haven't written anything on here since Christmas, mostly because I ran out of time and motivation due to exams, but there are a couple of things I'll finish & publish later this month for anyone interested. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for quick posts I could write while at Uni or anything you'd like to hear about then please let me know. You're welcome to contact me on whatever social media you use, and it's been nice to hear from a few of you already so thanks for getting in touch! Just wanted to write a quick post now to let you know I'm still alive and tell you about all the great tracks I've been listening to over the summer break.

I started this summer off listening to hip-hop duo Los Rakas as their new album came out earlier this year. Their song "Te Sigo Esperando" is a collaboration with Sheila E., who notably worked with Prince, and was one of my favorites this summer. Also in my playlist are "Up The Junction" by Squeeze (I have the single on lilac coloured vinyl), and "Leave A Trace" by CHVRCHES. Both bands played at Glastonbury this year so I caught bits of their sets on TV. I've also been really into guitar instrumentals so I listened to a lot of Jan Davis, Link Wray and Duane Eddy this summer. Towards the end of the holidays I got really into Flamin' Groovies, particularly Teenage Head, as well as The A-Bones and Pearl Harbour & The Explosions.

Here's my full summer 2016 playlist for you to enjoy:


Now that summer is over, I'm really looking forward to the colder weather. Autumn and Winter are my favourite seasons; I love the colours, wearing jumpers and drinking hot chocolate, and of course Halloween and Christmas! There's loads of good music scheduled for release too* - Loretta Lynn just announced White Christmas Blue, her first Christmas album in 50 years. It's set for release on October 7 and looks to be a great follow up to Full Circle, so definitely watch out for that in the near future. I'm also really excited about going record shopping in Leeds!** Even the charity shops here have big music sections - today I bought a Little Richard compilation LP, Cher's Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves and a couple of singles by The B-52's. Hope you all had a great summer, feel free to get in touch and let me know about any new music you've discovered recently!

*UpdateKate Bush is releasing a new triple-album of live recordings in November, entitled Before the Dawn, recorded during her 2014 residency at London’s Hammersmith Apollo. The Rolling Stones have announced their new album, Blue & Lonesome, out December 2. Blondie are working on what will be their 11th studio album, which should hopefully be released in March 2017; drummer Clem Burke has said it sounds as good as anything on Parallel Lines! Elkie Brooks is also recording a new record at the moment, and Chuck Berry has just announced the release of his first album in 38 years, which should be out next year. [Updated 18/10/16].
**Update 10/10/16: I went to the Brudenell record fair on Sunday and found loads of great stuff - A Love Supreme by John Coltrane, an original press of Then Play On by Fleetwood Mac, Blondie's Eat To The Beat and Autoamerican (which I already have but the price was too good not to buy), Lionheart by Kate Bush, Too-Rye-Ay by Dexy's Midnight Runners, and a bunch of singles including "Let There Be Drums" by Sandy Nelson, "Walk Of Life" by Dire Straits, The Pogues' "Fairytale Of New York", and "Our Love" by Elkie Brooks (picture disc).

No comments:

Post a Comment